['encoding'] is in these articles:
support package that has ASN.1 encoding / decoding, and OAEP
padding and such.
is a Python XML reader/parser/writer that's been implemented in both pure
Python and C. Using non-standard
encodings in cElementTree. Here is a talk on using
ElementTree to process XML. A recommendation
UTF Encodings and BOM, more fun with UTF8 and UTF16 encodings
a universal encoding detector
- python-cjson, is a module that provides C implementation of JSON encoding and decoding that can be up to 250 times as fast as native Python.
into strings for inclusion in your source code.
How to add radio remote
control capability (using RF transmitter and receiver modules made
by Laipac Technologies) to microcontroller
projects, also mentions manchester
encoding to reduce the error rate.
RFID to an electric deadbolt, from the book: RFID
Toys, by Amal Graafstra, ISBN: 0471771961.
Slashdot book review of: Head
Rush Ajax, by Brett McLaughlin, ISBN: 0-596-10225-9
urlencoding is a good format for AJAX
- Could MP3 encoding be causing a significant loss in audio quality after all?  
Slashdot book review of: SQL
Cookbook, by Anthony Molinaro, ISBN: 0596009763.
- Geohash is an algorithm used to encode into a simple string a latitude and longitude coordinate pair to arbitrary precision. It is intended for single URL encoding of lat/long data. The key to this is treating the coordinates as binary numbers and then interleaving their bits so that the odd bits are the latitude and the even bits are the longitude. In this way the encoded string can be simply truncated to reduce the precision. Another system for doing this is the 10:10 code. 
- Neuros is releasing a new version of their OSD device, this adds support for HD video encoding (including recording 720p from component inputs) and is built around a mini-ITX sized motherboard and enclosure. For the $250 price its actually pretty good value just for the case, power supply and motherboard alone. Note, this is not a general purpose motherboard, but does have a processor with 256MB or RAM and flash built in along with 100MHz LAN and hard disk interface so could well be used for other sorts of computer appliances. A good look at the inside of the device is here. The Neuros OSD 2.0 wiki has more information.   
- A Crash Course in Character Encoding by Michael Foord discusses encoding and decoding of strings and unicode. 
- ATI's Radeon HD 4800 spec sheet mentions that their hardware can assist MPEG2 to H.264 encoding, improving speed by 1.8 times on full 1080P and up to 19 times on lower resolution video. They call this Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT). In the fine print (which is rendered in a smaller font with a faint grey colour to make it illegible) they say:
This may vary depending on your system configuration and video formats. Using an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz based PC, AMD was able to achieve GPU accelerated transcoding speeds up to 19x faster using Cyberlink PowerDirector than when using the same CPU alone with MainConcept encoder in Adobe Premiere CS3. Using the same system, full 1080p files were converted 1.8x faster than real-time.
The Cyberlink PowerDirector pages don't say anything about this. 
- Optar is an system for encoding data onto printed paper, with it you can print out about 200kB of data on a single sheet of paper with your laser printer and read it back in with your flatbed scanner. 
- Some examples of how to make your Python code look a lot like Lisp. Some further examples on how to change the syntax of logical operators as well. 
- While Python 3000 will make a lot of UNICODE grief go away, because it uses the default encoding of the platform it is running on there is still room for error when you are moving data from one platform to another. 
- poster is a module for streaming HTTP uploads and multipart/form data encoding. 
- An Australian lab has developed a technique for five-dimensional optical encoding that could allow a single DVD-sized disk to hold 1.6TB of information. This would be great for backup if they can keep the cost per disk below $100. 
['encoding'] is in these pages: